Thursday 30 June 2022

JULY 2022

My first visit to the Village Store.  Another new experience but I had to wait outside as the Mrs said I would not be welcome inside.  I had a sudden dip in confidence and thought my popularity was waning……..why would I not be welcome but apparently this is The Rule.  Dogs are not allowed in shops unless you are special and although I am wearing my medallion I am apparently not special enough to be allowed in.

Rules are something I am gradually learning about at home.  One rule is I am not allowed on the furniture – this is apparently completely forbidden.  When I was small I used to sit on the Bosses lap every evening but now I am too big for that so I have to be content with sitting on his feet instead.  I did try sitting in his chair once when he had gone off to hit little white balls and left me behind but my devotion was not received well by the Mrs who was also left behind!  More recently the miniatures persuaded me onto the sofa with them but we got caught and not only did I get a telling off, so did the miniatures so everyone joined me in the dog house for a while.  Another rule is no bone chewing in the house.  I can’t understand why the Mrs dislikes my nice meaty, sinewy, succulent knuckle bones but she pulls a face every time I appear in the door way with one in my mouth only to be told to ‘take it outside’. 

The walking rule means no pulling on the lead when we go out.  I am not allowed to take the Mrs for a walk, only she is allowed to take me…...you get my drift?  The command ‘heel’ and the small tugs on my lead mean I have to walk sensibly next to her and not four feet in front.  I would like to stop at every small scent to add it to my repertoire and even leave a few of my own but the Mrs says I have no excuse for that behaviour, if I was a guide dog for a blind person they would not like to be constantly stopping or even bumping into posts because I could not control my nose or my bladder.  When I am off the lead it is a completely different story but that is for another day…..

It has been quite hard learning all these things but I am happy as the Boss and the Mrs seem happy with my progress meaning I get even more love and cuddles.  So getting back to the shop rule, I don’t mind not being special and having to sit outside as many people stop to reward me with a lovely pat and a chat…..some rules are easy to follow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEBRUARY 2024

I’ve been given the third degree…..the Mrs said…look into my eyes and tell me the truth:  Was it you? Have you been digging in the front law...